The GovTech Prize, in partnership with the World Government Summit, Area 2017, Mckinsey, and in collaboration with UNION, launches the GovHack Series. The GovHack series is a number of global challenges which aim to find the most innovative and impactful technological solutions developed by local top-tier technology startups, and ultimately can help governments solve global challenges, and produce innovative solutions that benefit the global community.
The GovHack Series will take place across 8 different cities. Winners from each of the 8 cities will be awarded with $10,000 and qualify to compete for the grand prize of $100,000 at the finale event during the World Government Summit in Dubai in February 2019. All 8 winning startups will also have the opportunity to attend a 90 days incubation program in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Apply now and be one of the few who will take your startup to another level.
How it Works
- All startups must submit their application through the GovHack Series website before the city-specific application deadline listed below.
- Up to 15 startups will be selected to present and compete at each city event. Competing startups will be notified before the competition dates and invited to compete at the event.
- Competing startups will meet at their respective city’s competition, which will take place over two days, where valuable round table discussions will be held, and startups will have the opportunity to take pitch coaching workshops in preparation for their final presentation.
- A panel of judges will select one startup in each city as the winner based on the criteria as outlined in the “Rules & Judging Criteria” section below. The winner of each city will be announced the same day as the competition.
- Post competition, winning startups will be connected with the relevant local government stakeholders to help refine and pilot their solutions.
When and Where
Hover your mouse on your city to reveal more information
The winner of the GovHack Series in each city will receive $10,000 USD, and the opportunity to work closely with the cities local government to help further develop their solution.
Winners from each of the cities will then be flown to Dubai to participate in a incubation program in Dubai, and compete for a grand prize of $100,000 USD at the World Government Summit 2019.
To help competing shortlisted startups, GovHack Series will provide pitch training by mentors and experts to help refine their messages to a large array of audience of investors, venture capitalists, dignitaries, public and private sector representatives. As the event will include some of prominent members of the local government and international community competing startups will have the opportunity to meet the relevant government officials in each city and have the chance to network with government stakeholders and investors.
Rules & Judging Criteria
- Your business must be a scalable product or service and in-market (MVP or pilots are fine but must fundamentally be beyond "idea stage'). Startups with traction have an advantage
- The startup may be a for-profit business, NGO or public benefit company.
- Your startup must have at least two team members.
- Your startup’s product or service should be possible to implement in the city to which you are applying for from a technical and legal standpoint.
- Your startup must be less than 3 years old
Judges will evaluate startups based on the following criteria:
- Novelty: All solutions selected will strongly be assessed on their innovative quality and novelty. Judges will assess how original solutions brought forward are, and how creatively new technology has been leveraged to do so.
- Impact on Society: All solutions must show a clear benefit and positive impact to society. Startups will need to prove how their product with the help of local government can help change people’s lives.
- Sustainability: As solutions will serve a public good, they must be financially sustainable and operationally sustainable. Teams will need consider the longevity of this solution in terms of resources involved for delivery.
- Scalability: Solutions must be scalable, as the competition aims to serve the wider public. Solutions must have the capability to be replicated in larger areas, and can be transported country wide, or even globally.
- Ease of Implementation: As winning startups will be asked to implement their solutions with local governments, solutions must be feasible to implement.
- Commercialization: Solutions will also be assessed on how viable the product is. Can your product go to market, is there sufficient talent in the region to drive this solution, can the solution gain traction quickly, will the solution generate value, are all key assessments of the commercialization of your solution.
- Presentation Skills: Lastly, teams will be assessed on their ability to convey a clear message on what their solution will do and how it will benefit their region. Pitch coaches will be present on the day of the competition to help guide teams.
About the competition
Apply the competition?
- All companies must submit an application by the deadline for their city through the GovHack Website here (Link).
- Up to 15 competing startups from each city will be selected
- The selected startups will compete on stage in front of a panel of judges
- The judges will select the winning startup of the GovHack Series from each city based on preselected criteria (see above)
- The winners of each city will come to Dubai to present their companies and pitch during the World Government Summit 2019 as well as participate in a 90-day incubation program
- The winner of the World Government Summit 2019 will win a grand prize of $100,000
The application deadline for each city is:
Competition Rules and Guidelines?
Judges will evaluate startups based on the following criteria (Please refer to the judging criteria section for detailed information):
- Impact on Society
- Ease of implementation
- Presentation Skills
The GovTech Prize is an annual global award designed to motivate world government entities, startups and students to promote creative smart government initiatives & partnerships and create innovative technological solutions that contribute to solving common global challenges.
The GovTech Prize is launching its new GovHack Series that will be running for the 1st time under GovTech Prize.