The GovTech Prize, in partnership with the World Government Summit, Area 2071, Mckinsey, and in collaboration with Union, launches the GovHack Series. The GovHack Series is a yearlong competition to find some of the most innovative and impactful startups that can help governments solve specific problems that benefit their citizens.
The GovHack Series will take place across eight international cities. Each city has selected one of four competition themes. The winner from each of the eight cities will be awarded with $10,000 USD and will advance to compete for the grand prize of $100,000 USD at the finale event taking place during the World Government Summit in Dubai in February 2019. All eight winning startups will also be invited to attend an incubation program in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Apply now to win cash prizes, access new customer opportunities, meet investors and make invaluable international connections to advance your startup.
How it Works
- All startups must submit their application through the GovHack Series website before the city-specific application deadline listed below.
- Up to 15 startups will be selected to present and compete at each city event. Competing startups will be notified before the competition dates and be invited to compete at the event.
- Competing startups will meet at their respective city’s competition, which will take place over two days, where valuable panels and talks will be held, and startups will have the opportunity to take pitch coaching workshops in preparation for their final presentation.
- A panel of judges will select one startup in each city as the winner based on the criteria as outlined in the “Rules & Judging Criteria” section below. The winner of each city will be announced the same day as the competition.
- Winning solutions will be considered for pilot opportunities in local governments.
(Delhi & Washington D.C.)
(Jakarta & London)
(Santiago & Tokyo)
(Cairo & Berlin)
When and Where
|Washington DC||Apply Now|
Hover your mouse on your city to reveal more information
Each city winner will receive $10,000 USD, and winning solutions will be considered for pilot opportunities in their local governments to help further develop their solution.
All eight winning startups will also be flown to Dubai to compete for a grand prize of $100,000 USD at the World Government Summit 2019 and be invited to join a 90-day incubation program in Area 2071 in Dubai following the Summit.
Benefits for All Competitors
All participants will receive pitch training from mentors and experts to ensure you are ready to take the stage in front of an audience of investors, venture capitalists, dignitaries, public and private sector representatives.
Members of the local government and international community competing startups will be attending each city competition. As such, competing startups will have the opportunity to meet the relevant government officials in each city and network with government stakeholders as well as investors that are interested in the types of companies competing at the GovHack Series.
Rules & Judging Criteria
- Your business must be a scalable product or service and in-market (MVP or pilots are fine but must fundamentally be beyond "idea stage').
- The startup may be a for-profit business, NGO or public benefit company.
- Your startup must have at least two team members.
- Your startup’s product or service should be possible to implement in the city to which you are applying for from a technical and legal standpoint.
Judges will evaluate startups based on the following criteria:
- Novelty: All solutions selected will be assessed on their innovative quality and novelty. Judges will assess how original solutions brought forward are, and how creatively new technology has been leveraged.
- Impact on Society: All solutions must show a clear benefit and positive impact to society. Startups will need to prove how their product, with the help of local government, can help change people’s lives.
- Sustainability: As solutions will serve a public good, they must be financially sustainable and operationally sustainable.
- Scalability: Solutions must be scalable, as the competition aims to serve the wider public.
- Ease of Implementation: Solutions must be reasonably easy to implement as winning startups will potentially be asked to implement their solutions with local governments.
- Commercialization: Solutions will also be assessed on how viable the product is. Can your product go to market, is there sufficient talent in the region to drive this solution, can the solution gain traction quickly, will the solution generate value, are all key assessments of the commercialization of your solution.
- Presentation Skills: Teams will be assessed on their ability to convey a clear message on what their solution will do and how it will benefit their region. Pitch coaches will be present on the day of the competition to help guide teams.
About the competition
Apply the competition?
- All applications will be considered on a rolling basis prior to the event date. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible and reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Up to 15 competing startups from each city will be selected
- The selected startups will compete on stage in front of a panel of judges
- The judges will select the winning startup of the GovHack Series from each city based on preselected criteria (see above)
- The winners of each city will come to Dubai to present their companies and pitch during the World Government Summit 2019 as well as participate in a 90-day incubation program
- The winner of the World Government Summit 2019 will win a grand prize of $100,000
Competition Rules and Guidelines?
Judges will evaluate startups based on the following criteria (Please refer to the judging criteria section for detailed information):
- Impact on Society
- Ease of implementation
- Presentation Skills
The GovTech Prize is an annual global award designed to motivate world government entities, startups and students to promote creative smart government initiatives & partnerships and create innovative technological solutions that contribute to solving common global challenges.
The GovTech Prize is launching its new GovHack Series that will be running for the 1st time under GovTech Prize.